Dr. Daeun (Dana) Choi
Assistant Professor, Precision agriculture, Robotics/machine vision applications in specialty crop production, Deep learning and big data analysis for crop monitoring, Drone and autonomous vehicle applications in agriculture, High-throughput plant phenotyping
Daeun (Dana) Choi is an agricultural engineer working as an assistant professor at Gulf Coast Research and Education Center (GCREC). She earned B.S. degrees in Bio-mechatronics Engineering and Economics from Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea in 2011. She earned M.S. and Ph. D. degrees in Agricultural and Biological Engineering from the University of Florida in 2013 and 2017, respectively, specializing in precision agriculture technologies with artificial intelligence (AI).
Inspired by real-world challenges in agriculture, her research focuses on developing field robotics and AI in agriculture, which can assist human operations in specialty crop production with an emphasis on improving sustainability, productivity, and safety. Motivation of her research is to improve traditional farming practices for the optimal use of biological, time, and financial resources by designing low-cost field devices through the newest data processing and automation techniques. Two significant research areas of her lab are: (1) intelligent sensors for accurately monitoring field variables in agriculture, and (2) automated multi-robot systems using drones, robots, data, and information and communications technology (ICT).
Room 173 at GCREC
Gulf Coast Research and Education Center, 14625 CR 672, Wimauma FL 33598
- Ph.D. Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2017, University of Florida
- M.S. Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 2013, University of Florida
- B.S. Bio-mechatronic Engineering, summa cum laude, 2011, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
- B.S. Economics, 2011, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
- 2021-Present. Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, The University of Florida
- 2017-2020. Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2012-2017. Graduate Assistant, Precision Agriculture Laboratory, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Florida
Awards and Honors
- 2019 Next Leaders Program, Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (CIGR). (November 7, 2020).
- New Faces of ASABE, The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. (March 1, 2019).
- 2019 UF ABE Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, University of Florida. (May 8, 2019).
- Giuseppe Pellizzi Prize 2018, The Club of Bologna. (November 11, 2018). www.clubofbologna.org/.
- AKABFE Service Award, Association of Korean Agricultural, Biological, and Food Engineers. (July 18, 2017). akabfe.org. akabfe.org.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, International Society of Precision Agriculture. (August 1, 2016). https://www.ispag.org/icpa/awards. The purpose of this award is to recognize graduate student achievement, training, preparation, and research in the area of precision agriculture.
- Achievement Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida. (August 15, 2011).
- Dean's Commendation for Academic Excellence, College of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Sungkyunkwan University. (August 1, 2011).
Other Professional Activities
- Member, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- Member, International Society of Precision Agriculture
- Guest member, Club of Bologna
- Member, Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association
- Member and Secretary, W3009: Integrated Systems Research and Development in Automation and Sensors for Sustainability of Specialty Crops