Dr. Senthold Asseng
Cropping Systems Modeling
Dr. Asseng’s research interests are to develop mathematical modeling and computer simulation of agricultural and biological systems related to climate variability, climate change and sustainability. He aims to apply these tools to explore adaptation strategies for improving food security in sustainable agricultural systems in the context of climate change. The complexity of the above research goals requires a strong focus on the development and expansion of interdisciplinary research teams including crop modelers, crop physiologists, breeders, soil scientists, hydrologists, climatologists, economists and biostatisticians.
Dr. Asseng has successfully established such international, multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams as the leader of AgMIP-Wheat. AgMIP-Wheat is part of AgMIP (Agricultural Model Intercomparison and Improvement Project; and aims to improve the assessment of climate change impacts on wheat crop production and sustainability. He recently became an Executive Committee Member of AgMIP. He is also the elected Chair of the Expert Working Group (EWG) on Wheat Plant and Crop Modeling of the International Wheat Initiative.
Dr. Asseng has authored or co-authored over 220 peer-reviewed articles on crop model improvements and applications in managing climate variability, climate change impact and adaptation and cropping sustainability, including in high-impact journals like Nature Climate Change, Nature Plants and Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences (Google Scholar).
- Simulation of global wheat cropping systems under current and future climate change for global food security
- Simulation of fruit and vegetable systems in the US, linked to economic modeling and Life Cycle Assessment
- Quantification of climate change impact assessment uncertainties
- Seasonal forecasting for crop decision making
- ABE5646: Agricultural and Biological Systems Simulation, Since 2012
- ABE6933/AGR6932 on Computer Simulation of Crop Growth and Management, 2014-2015
- Course on Wheat Crop Systems – A Simulation Analysis, Technical University Munich, Germany, 2002
- Course on System Analysis with a Crop Model, University of Western Australia, 1999