Professor, Hydrology & Water Quality
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University (USA), Agricultural Engineering, minor in Water Resources, 1993.
- M.Sc., B.Sc., P.E., Ingeniero Agrónomo Superior (Agricultural Engineering), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain), 1989.
- 2011-present: Professor, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, University of Florida
- 2010-2011 Professor in Residence, CEMAGREF (now Irstea), Lyon, France
- 2006-2011: Associate Professor, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, University of Florida
- 2001-2006: Assistant Professor, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, University of Florida
- 2000-2001: Tenured Researcher, Canary Islands Agricultural Research Institute, Spain
- 1993-2000: Engineering Researcher, Canary Islands Agricultural Research Institute, Spain
- 1994-2001: Adjunct Professor, University of La Laguna, Spain
- 1989-1993: Research Assistant, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Uncertainty and Sensitivity of Environmental Models
- Surface, Vadose Zone and Groundwater Hydrology
- Hydrology and Water Quality Monitoring and Modeling
- Hydrology and Ecological Systems Analysis
Awards & Honors
- 2015 Member of the Royal Academy of Engineers of Spain
- 2015 Fellow of ASABE (American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers)
- 2015 ASABE ADS/Hancor Soil Water Engineering National Award.
- 2013 UF Water Institute Faculty Fellow
- 2013 National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) Mentoring Award
- 2013 UF/IFAS International Educator of the Year Award
- 2013 Environmental Water INstitute, ASCE, Best Paper Award.
- 2011 University of Florida Research Foundation Professor
- 2009 Junior Faculty Award of Merit, Gamma Sigma Delta.
- 2009 Special Recognition Award, FL section of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological
- 2008 UF/IFAS International Achievement Award
- 2008 International Educator Award, UF International Center
- 2008 UF/IFAS LEAD certificate
- 2008 UF/CALS Teacher’s College certificate
- 2003 USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service Certificate of Appreciation
- 1999 Paper of ASAE Award, Hydrology Mini-Symposium
Other Synergistic Activities
- NSF Funded Student development: NSF GRF doctoral advisor, Ms. Natalie Nelson (started Fall 2012); NSF-REU Program, Summer 2012, faculty mentor for Wen Yang; Advisory Board 2009-2012, NSF- Innovation through Institutional Integration (I3) http://i3.institutes.ufl.edu/; NSF IGERT doctoral advisor, Anna C. Linhoss (graduated 2011).
- Federal Projects Panelist: USDA/ARS Panel Chair, FY 2012. NP 211 Panel 8 - Managing Agricultural Water Quality; USDA/NRI Panel Member FY 2003, Watershed Processes & Water Resources Program. Washington D.C.; USDA/ARS/ANRI Review Panel, Environmental Quality Laboratory, Beltsville,. 2004.
- Research Advisory Board Membership: 2009-2012, UF Water Institute http://waterinstitute.ufl.edu (campus wide); 2002- , Spanish Unsaturated Studies group, Spain; 2012-2014, UF/IFAS Dean of Research; UF/IFAS International Programs; 2008-, High Performance Computing Center, University of Florida. 2009-2014 UF NSF-Innovation through Institutional Integration (I3) (campus wide).
- Journal and Book Editor: Associate Editor, 2004-2010 Transactions of ASABE and Applied Engineering in Agriculture; Associate editor for 3 special issues of peer-reviewed journals (Vadose Zone Journal, Trans. of ASABE, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Part B); Co-editor of book (CRC/Lewis) with 53 intl. authors.
- Scientific and Professional Societies: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE), Member Engineer, 1993-, SW Division Secretary 2012-13; SW-21 Hydrology Committee Chair, 2008-2009, Member, SW-5, Publications Review Committee, 2004-; Member, American Geophysical Union (AGU), 1993-.
Post-Doctoral Associates Sponsored
- Axel Ritter, Karl Vanderlinden, Andrew James, Leonor Rodriguez, Oscar Perez-Ovilla, Matteo Convertino, Maria Chu Agor, Miguel A. Campos, David Kaplan, Anna C. Linhoss.
Chair of Doctoral Students
This page was last updated on April 15, 2016.
- Rafael Muñoz-Carpena
Hydrology & Water Quality
University of Florida
287 Frazier Rogers Hall
P.O. Box 110570
Gainesville, FL 32611-0570
(352) 392-1864 x287
(352) 392-4092 (fax)
- Google Scholar
- "Rafael Muñoz-Carpena Named International Achievement Award Recipient for 2008"
- UF/IFAS International Programs